You are now reading the blog of a legal Dubai resident. Yes, that's right folks, I just got back my passport with residence visa good for 3 years. I feel so official, so law-abiding. I can now (if I so choose) arrange for an internet hook up, cable (need a TV first), buy a car, apply for a Dubai driver's license, and even apply for a license to drink and purchase alcohol. Of course, the last item is the nearest and dearest to my heart.
So. Being in possession of said visa, I went to fill out the forms for the bank that the school uses - it's easiest. They come pick up the forms, and bring me back a checkbook and atm card. I like easy. Well, our school's mighty accountant told me that I have to wait, that he's going to do everyone in one fell swoop, that the papers will come to me with my paycheck, and that I can set up an account after that. He wouldn't give me the forms. Now, I understand that it will create a large headache for him if the new hires come by in trickles, setting up accounts willy-nilly, but I want the forms, and I'll do it all myself. He did tell me, though, that the bank won't even talk to me. Just to him. I might have misunderstood that - he does have a thick accent - but it makes me think "Huh? A bank is not going to talk to me?" So. We'll see what happens. Another new hire is going to talk to him today, so we are going to compare notes later.
Anyway.
Ramadan started yesterday, or today. I'm not sure on the exact time. I do know, though, that our school day is much different - we start at 8:30, and by law, all students must be released by 2:00PM. Of course, there are still after school activities, but they are all completely voluntary.
Ramadan really is a beautiful thing - a time when Muslims fast to remind themselves of the importance of self-discipline, and to be thinking more of spiritual things. So, I wish you all Ramadan Kareem!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment