Last night, a friend and colleague who lives in the same building and I decided to order out for dinner. We called up Chili's (yes, there is Chili's here) and ordered, and then came the fun part: trying to impart how to get to our building. See, it's still a new building, and no one knows it yet. The name of it is "Greenview". This is confusing, because we live right next to a development called "The Greens". Everyone knows where that is. Adding to the confusion is that in the Greens, there is an apartment building called "The View", which is very well known. Again, that's not where we live. Also extremely confusing is, with very few exceptions, that there aren't street names. It's all landmark based and counting street based. So, to give you an idea of the conversation (with two different people, mind), here is an example:
Chili's: "Where is your building, ma'am?"
Me: It's called Greenview, near the Greens.
Chili's: You are in the Greens?
Me: No, no, near the Greens. You take Sheik Zayed road from the mall to the next exit, go through a tunnel
Chili's: In the Greens?
Me: No, near the Greens. You take the tunnel and then you see a concrete factory on your left
Chili's: Tunnel to the Greens?
Me: Well, yes, it-
Chili's: Okay, so go to the Greens at Interchange 5?
Me: No, the exit is inbetween Interchange 4 and 5. You take the tunnel, see the concrete factory on the left, then on the right are many buildings under construction, and 2 finished. One is glass, the other is brown. I live in the brown building. After you see the brown building, turn right at the traffic light.
Chili's: In the Greens?
The conversation continued in the same way, then the lady on the other end got another person, and I repeated the whole conversation. Seriously. I suppose it would help if I spoke Tagolog, but I don't. I might learn.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
they actually speak tagalog in uae? i thought that was only in the philipines. huh.
Post a Comment