Yesterday, the high school principal stopped by my classroom (gasp! he actually came inside!!) to tell me of an event that our parent corporation had organized, and to which we could bring 10 people - an afternoon concert of the Vienna Boys Choir. Well, it was extremely late notice, but I was very keen to go (and there's a Britishism for you - I've never before said "keen to go") and thought it could potentially be a great thing for 9 boys in my high school choir (see how I worked it? 10 people = 9 boys + me).
So, I hunted them all down before homeroom and asked them if they'd like to go - they were all happy about a field trip. Now, you might be wondering how this could happen, on a day's notice, to take students outside of school on a trip. I, too, wondered the same thing. Apparently, the parents have to sign a waiver or permanent permission slip type thing that allows us to do that. Who knew?
Long story, including phone calls home for uniform changes, short - we went. It was hosted at the brand new premiere school - let me say that the facilities are truly premiere! Fountains, lakes, spiral staircases, plasma tvs in a huge, well furnished teachers' lounge, flashy cafeteria, cafe at the front of the school for parents and teachers, beautiful auditorium with sound booth and good PA system - my kids were all a bit jealous. Of course, they were not jealous of the exorbitant cost of tuition - my senior boy said that it was comparable to an Ivy League university tuition. I don't know if that's really true, but...
The Choir was wonderful. The boys were all so earnest in their singing. They brought joy to my heart, and inspiration to my boys. On the bus back to school after the concert, my guys were all very impressed - they even said they liked all the classical stuff. I'm really hoping it helps my one boy with an unchanged voice feel better about using it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Wow! Who wouldn't to see the Vienna Boys' Choir?! What a great privilege!
I remember seeing them on a field trip a loooong time ago. But that's about all I remember of it, so I guess it was a really long time ago. . .
I'm glad you got to see it. And the "premier school" too
Post a Comment