Monday, September 29, 2008

Unexpected Holiday

So. It's Monday. There are no students in the hallways or in classrooms, nor were there yesterday, nor will there be the rest of the week. Why, you ask? Because of Eid - the 3 day feast/celebration that marks the end of the holy month of Ramadan. Originally in the school calendar, we were only scheduled for Thursday off. Then last week Tuesday, rumors started flying that we'd have Wednesday off, possibly Tuesday. On Thursday, and official announcement was made - the Minstry of Knowledge and Human Affairs decreed that we be closed Monday through Thursday - still in school on Sunday. At 1:30PM Thursday (15 minutes before the end of the day) another announcement was made - all schools in the UAE are to be closed for the entire week. So, here I am, kicking my heels, not really doing anything very exciting. Well, except that I'm at school with no kids. I really like being at school with no kids. Back in Michigan, those were actually some of my favorite work days - the teacher institute days, when we had to work, but the kids were out of school. Teaching really would be the easiest job in the world - if only there were no students.

Other interesting news: while I was travelling back to Dubai, the ward was split. If you are unfamiliar with the terminology, here's a brief explanation: our church congregations are called wards or branches, depending on the size. X amount of wards or branches make up a stake - kind of similar to a diocese, as I understand it. Well, because we've had so many members move into Dubai, our numbers have been growing, and as we meet in a converted house, we don't all fit. I don't care how big the house is - having 300 people in one place for a meeting just doesn't work. So, there is now the Dubai 1st Ward (the larger unit) and the Dubai 2nd Branch (smaller unit). I am in the branch. The first meeting was on Friday, and yikes, the branch is small. I haven't attended a branch since Russia - I'd forgotten how small branches are. I'm of mixed emotions - I'm the new branch music chair, so I'm in charge of the music, which is good, but most of my friends are in the ward. It's odd, but it really makes a difference if you don't attend meetings together. I don't know why, I just know that it does. So, that's the other thing that's going on.

Here are my two things to be glad about this week:
1. A week off of school
2. Electricity - really! what would life be like without it? Candles, firelight, no AC, no computers/internet, no TV/DVDs, no iPods, radios - everything that sets us apart from civilization 100 years ago. No refridgerators or freezers (how could I keep ice cream?)

1 comment:

Jennifer P. said...

Howdy! Your brother Jon let me know about your blog, and I NEVER visit a blog without leaving a little comment lovin' :)! I find your life incredibly FASCINATING!!! Teaching music in Dubai? All I know about that country is that everyone is insanely wealthy and it has the tallest building in the world. Who knew they needed American music teachers as well? :)

I will be back for sure--that is, if you don't mind a virtual stranger peeking in on your life from time to time!

All the best to you,
~Jennifer P. (in Boise, Idaho)