Tuesday, September 09, 2008

So, It's Tuesday Already

...and I've been struggling to find two things to be glad about this week. It really shouldn't be this hard, right? I've shared my goal of two happy things a week with some of my colleagues, and they were helping me brainstorm - here are some things we came up with:
1. I'm alive.
2. I have a job that pays me money. This means I can eat, drive a car and buy books.

Pretty basic, but there you go.

That didn't seem good enough, though. I mean, yes, I am truly, truly grateful that I am alive. I enjoy living, and being able to care for myself financially is fantastic. But there has to be more, right? So I've really been thinking about things, and here goes:

1. There are amazing people in my life. I am privileged to know so many wonderful people. I have been blessed with great friends. And here's what's amazing - even if we fall out of contact for a few years (let's face it: I'm a horrible correspondent. I should be better, I know, but I'm not. Not an excuse, just a fact.) hearing from someone out of the blue can make my week. In fact, even though I'm realizing more and more how horrible people can be, it just provides a backdrop to show how amazing others are.
2. I have a wonderful family. Screwy, dysfunctional, worse about keeping in touch than I am though they may be, I seriously can't imagine what I would be like without them. And this includes my extended family. You know, with Grandpa's state of health, I've really done a lot of thinking about him and Grandma, and how lucky I am to know them. Not just know them, but be related to them.

So there we go. Still pretty basic, and very awkwardly expressed, but still very sincere.

1 comment:

Heather said...

I love what you are grateful for this week. And I concur with your assessment of your screwy, dysfunctional family. I know I am definitely worse about keeping in touch than you are. Glad you always forgive me.