Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Day 1

So. It has come to my attention with all of my music education mastery that I am a musical snob - okay, I've known that for years. What is horrifying is that my sobbery has turned into arrogance. I don't want to be an arrogant person. Seriously. I also don't really care for the negative tack that has occured over the past couple of years, so as I've been looking for a way to actively and truely combat and eradicate both the musical arrogance and overall negativity, I've decided I need to find at least 2 things a week that are really good about my situation. (I considered 2 things a day, but I'll work myself up to that point).

So. Here's my 2 things for this week (plus a couple extra):
1. My students are great. They really and truly are.
1A. I no longer have my garage band kid in class.
1B. I have 2 boys in the grade 8 choir.
1C. I have 11 boys in the HS Concert Choir - 11 boys and 13 girls.
2. I have excellent, supportive colleagues in the fine arts department.
3. I have my own classroom.
4. I was able to order excellent music for this year.

I'm going to re-read Pollyanna - I need to find some more things about which to be glad.

It's lunchtime in the middle school during day 1. Right after lunch I have my Grade 8 choir - most of my grade 7s from last year are returning, which greatly excites me. The numbers are still pretty small, but I'll take each and every one of those kids.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Sounds like a great goal! I can't wait to read what things you are glad about every week.