
The only way to get into the city of Petra is to walk down, down, down a narrow, circuitous route called the Siq. The rock formations are astounding! The Siq was not the regular way for the citizens to enter; it was used for religious ceremonies. Periodically throughout the Siq would be carved niches for candles to light the way.

I have to say, I was somewhat surprised to see how much growing stuff there was in the Siq itself. Trees and flowers were growing up the cliff in some cases.

This is about halfway, I think. See? I really had it all to myself!

So. This is my best picture of the Treasury. I took this the second morning of my stay. I got up early and was in the Siq on the way down by 6:45AM. For most of the way, I had it all to myself. Getting to the Treasury takes awhile, but when you can appreciate it without the hordes of tourists around, it's amazing. Okay, it's amazing with hordes of tourists, too. I also freely admit, as I got close to the end of the Siq, I began to sing the "Indiana Jones" Theme song. How could I help it, I ask you?
This was my first view of the Treasury by daylight - I took this on the first day - followed by a closer picture. Please note the crowds of people on the stairs. The stonework is amazing! It's so well preserved after 2000 years, because it is protected from most of the winds and the rain.


This is from the doorway inside the Treasury. You should all know, there's nothing exciting inside the building. It's a large, empty room. No Knights, no puzzles, nothing. A bit of a let down, actually.
More next time.
1 comment:
Hi Amy,
I don't know how to contact you other than writing a comment on your blog or calling you, which I haven't had time....I'm sure you know about that! Anyway, when are you arriving back in the states? How do I contact you? Are you going to VanderCook? You are always welcome to stay by us at anytime!
So, about the baby...they think it's a girl. Only about 80% sure though, so we may have a surprise at delivery. 14 and a half more weeks to go.
Also, we just signed to have a house built. I'm SO excited! We won't be moving until probably November though. It's still exciting!
Yes, two major things happening here, besides the everyday busy, not so normal things.
Well, if you get a chance one night/morning, you can always call. (630) 430-5575
or email: an72077@aol.com
Have a good rest of your week!
We miss you!
Alicia
Post a Comment