Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Is It Time?

So.

This morning in my mail box was a very interesting piece of paper. It was a memorandum from the superintendent concerning Staff Renewal Plans for 2008-2009. If I plan to be here, I need to check the box saying "I plan to return to DAA for the 2008-2009 school year". It's November!! And I have to decide now!

So, here are the questions I really have to think about: Am I done here? Have I accomplished what I set out to do? Do I want to stay? Will next year be an improvement for me and the students? I don't really know.

I don't feel done here; the choral program is not where I want it to be when I leave, but at the same time, but I don't necessarily feel the support from key people here - which makes working here an interesting and sometimes uncomfortable adventure. With the students, this year is going a bit more smoothly - they seem to realize that I do mean what I say, and they're used to my expectations now. I think I would miss these kids - well, some less than others. With very few exceptions, these kids are truly, truly terrific. One thing I wouldn't miss would be next year's musical - the drama teacher wants to do Oliver! I really like the musical, but come on! We don't have a Bill, Fagin or Nancy. Who would be the orphans and Fagin's group? The show was written for professionals! I don't think she'll listen to me when I suggest doing a show written for amateurs (which takes into consideration gender requirements - more female than male parts - and limited vocal ranges). This I would not miss. It almost makes me want to check the No, I'm not returning box. I won't do it only for that reason, though.

So. I'm in a conundrum. A quandry. Stuck between Scylla and Charibdis.

Any advice?

No comments: