Yesterday, Sunday Sep. 3rd, was the first day of school. The MS/HS classes are on block schedules, so there are 4 classes a day, on a Day 1/Day 2 schedule. Yesterday, I had 3 classes - 2 high school and a 6th grade choir. Today, I had a 7th grade class and a 7/8 choir.
I was a bit unsure as to what it would all be like - as are most people on the first day somewhere new. There are about 37 students involved in choir in high school, which is honestly not enough, considering that there are over 400 students in the school. In middle school, I have just over 90 students in 3 choirs, so that's better, and could also be more. It will take time to build it up, and it will happen! Ultimately, I'd like the program to be so large that a choir teacher is needed for both MS and HS. But, we have to start somewhere. I just have to remember baby steps.
I really like my students. Really, really. They are sweet, well-behaved and so much fun, and that's just from the first day!!They all already sing, and can hold a part, so we can just go up from here!! I'm really excited. The only down thing right now is that I can't order music or anything until January. JANUARY! That means that I have to use what is already here - and I don't want to. Ah, well. Oh, and I'm not used to such long times - I was ready for them to be gone at about 5o minutes, and the regular class time is 90. I'll work on it. I just pulled out some elementary games, and they loved them.
I'm sitting here in my beautiful class room, listening to big band music, and marvelling that I'm here. No, it's not perfect, but it's really good.
Now I just need a car...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment